The Library is not hiring at this time. Please check back often for employment updates.
The Library fills professional and full-time positions, when available, through the Long Beach Civil Service listings. Individuals must take a Civil Service test to become eligible for such positions as Librarian, Clerk, Assistant Director, and Director. Announcements for these examinations are posted on the Long Beach Civil Service website (available here). Upcoming applicable exams will be listed on this page. Additional requirements for each position include:
- Librarian: Master’s of Library Science degree and New York State Public Librarian Certification.
- Librarian Trainee: Must be enrolled in a Master’s of Library Science degree program.
- Clerk: High School Diploma.
Although there are exceptions, the vast majority of part-time positions offered by the Long Beach Public Library do not require the applicant to take a Civil Service Exam. Part time employment opportunities vary, and applications are accepted continuously at the the Reference Desk (click here for an application). Most positions that come available are for Circulation Desk Clerks (checking books in and out) and Pages (shelving). Completed job applications will be kept on file for future openings. Job listings will be listed on this page as they become available. Additional requirements for each position include:
- Circulation Clerk: High school diploma or GED.
- Pages: If under the age of 18, the applicant must have working papers and are limited to working certain hours when school is in session. To obtain working papers, please contact the student’s school district.